Even though we’re in the waste removal business, we’re also fellow citizens of this planet. Here at Mitrano Removal Service, we understand and appreciate the need for all of us to minimize waste in general so we’ll have a clean, safe, and healthy environment to pass on to future generations.
The most effective way to reduce waste is not to create it in the first place. Making a new product requires a lot of materials and energy — raw materials must be extracted from the earth. The product must be fabricated then transported to wherever it will be sold. As a result, reduction and reuse are the most effective ways to save natural resources, protect the environment, and save money.
The benefits of reducing waste and reusing materials and products are many, including:
- Prevents pollution by reducing the need to harvest new raw materials
- Saves energy
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global climate change
- Helps sustain the environment for future generations
- Saves money
- Reduces the amount of waste to be recycled or sent to landfills and incinerators
- Enables products to be used to their fullest extent for greater efficiency and cost-effectiveness
Ideas on how to reduce and reuse:
- Buy used. You can find everything from clothes to building materials at specialized reuse centers and consignment shops. Often, used items are less expensive and just as good as new.
- Look for products that use less packaging. When manufacturers make their products with less packaging, they use less raw material. This reduces waste and costs. These extra savings can be passed along to the consumer. Buying in bulk, for example, can reduce packaging and save money.
- Buy reusable instead of disposable items. Look for items that can be reused — little things can add up. For example, bring your own silverware and cup to work rather than using disposable items.
- Maintain and repair products, such as clothing, and appliances, so that they won’t have to be thrown out and replaced as frequently.
- Borrow, rent, or share items that are used infrequently, such as party decorations, tools, and special occasions or seasonal furniture.
Don’t forget to donate
One person’s trash is another person’s treasure. Instead of discarding unwanted appliances, tools or clothes, try selling, or donating them. Not only will you be reducing waste, you’ll be helping others. Local churches, community centers, thrift stores, schools and nonprofit organizations may accept a variety of donated items, including used books, working electronics, and unneeded furniture.
Benefits of donating:
- Prevents usable goods from going into landfills
- Helps your community and those in need
- Tax benefits may be available
Want to make a little money off the stuff you don’t want or need anymore? Take advantage of the variety of online marketplaces and outlets for buying, selling, and swapping items, such as Freecycle, BarterOnly, TradeAway, Depop, and the venerable Craig’s List and eBay.
Then, when you finally need to dispose of or recycle what’s left, be sure to contact us. We’ll set you up with the right container or containers for whatever it is that you’re getting rid of and we’ll make sure that it’s responsibly handled to minimize its environmental impact.